I'm going to go back to how I described the film in my 2020 film round up:
"This is a masterwork. There is no aspect of the film that I can't heap heavy praise on - the acting, the writing, the soundtrack, the costume, the acting (I do not care that I am repeating myself). It is a fantastic, human, film that I can't praise enough."
I'll expand that sort of chronologically.
1:
I can see why Taika Waititi chose to play Hitler. It means there's no chance anyone's going to use clips of him to glorify Hitler. It felt like that was a tightrope that he was very aware of, that the message of the film was that *that* was the terrifying thing, Nazis were average human beings doing terrible things, without glorifying any of them. And I think he mostly threaded that needle (the shot at the end of the Gestapo looking utterly pathetic without the coats for example), with the possible exception of Klenzendorf leaning slightly too close to the legend that the Wehrmacht were alright.
I can also see why they got the Heil Hitlers out of the way at the start so everyone could get their nervous laughter out early.
2:
Really, threaded that needle, because the Nazis were very terrifying and pathetic at the same time.
3:
Scarlett Johansson did not get the plaudits she deserved. I don't know if this was released during one of the "let's all diss ScarJo" waves but why didn't she get all the plaudits?!
She has such a difficult role, because she plays a woman who is doing her best in a difficult time, when doing the thing she has chosen to do (and the film makes it clear that it is a choice) could get her killed and the person most likely to report her to the authorities is her own son.
And she's full of whimsy despite everything, or possibly against everything.
(Another thing I liked was that the film lets you fill in the gaps. In any way you choose. Is Jojo's father dead, in the army, in the resistance, is there even a father figure in his life or is she just pretending?)
4:
To an extent Yorgi is the most important character because he's who Jojo could have been if he hadn't had the experiences he has during the story. And we know there's no harm in Yorgi, he's just been brainwashed. He still believes the things Jojo can no longer believe.
And again that loops back to the film's message that the terror is, everyone involved is just another human. See also Jojo's mother shouting at some soldiers to go home to their mothers.
5:
Holy heck, Roman Griffin Davis and Thomasin McKenzie, who were children at the time, had the most difficult roles and nailed them.
Totally nailed them.
Excellent work by them (and whoever cast them)
6: No really, I can't recommend this film enough. It's one of the very few films I would say everyone should watch. It's just marvellous.
No comments:
Post a Comment