Saturday, 29 August 2026

Formula 1 2026 - Dutch Grand Prix

This will be the last Dutch Grand Prix at Zandvoort for the foreseeable future - I am sad for Verstappen and his fans, but let us not pretend that F1 doesn't run on money. Also, despite everyone saying how much better than the usual Zandvoort race this was, the driver on pole position still won. And the race was dull. 

The circuit is too narrow for these cars, and they aren't going to be getting narrower, nor is the circuit going to be made wider. 

I can explain the terrible weather at Zandvoort - a colleague was holidaying just south of there. 

Not sure who was main commentating for BBC, and I'm sure it's first time nerves, but there were so many "no, that's not what that word means" malaprops. Like he obvs. knows his stuff but ... I acknowledge it might be me being a little old lady, especially as he said something that made me know I'm older than him - "it's like a one lap shootout if you've played the games" - some of us remember that being the qualifying rules!! (I did love Jennie Gow trying to relax him when she could.) 

The race itself: 

Verstappen finally got caught by the home race curse (I really will need to do that data viz at some point). That crash looked horrid. Well done Nico Hülkenberg avoiding Bortoleto in the chaos.
This video from F1.com has possibly the most wonderful explanation of how Hülkenberg avoided Bortoleto (certainly the one with the coolest graphics) 

I think the unexpected red flag plus bonus formation lap due to Bearman really threw several teams' strategy, because I can't understand the strategy for Perez or Piastri. Ferrari's bizarre strategy choices (and the drivers disobeying everything) comes as standard. 

As does McLaren screwing up a pitstop - I thought they'd stopped those mistakes! (I do not expect better of Ferrari pitstops) 

I am taking this race as proof I was right and Tsunoda is good and he deserves a seat. And yes, I know that if every driver I wanted to have an F1 seat had one, it would be 40 drivers deep.

No comments:

Post a Comment