Saturday 30 September 2023

Formula 1 - Japanese Grand Prix 2023

We were right, the Singapore Grand Prix was a one-off and Red Bull business as usual has resumed.  On the other hand, if we ignore Max Verstappen, there was some fun.  Some of it was racing fun, and some of it was chaos fun, and a lot of it was inter-team battles fun, which is always one for the impish.

I can understand some of the team decisions, although the Alpine one confuses me mightily (https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/gasly-doesnt-understand-alpine-order-to-swap-positions-in-japanese-gp/10524780/).

I think we also just have to accept that the second Red Bull seat is cursed.  It's inexplicable.  Perez is so much better than that, much the same way as Webber was better than that.  I did get a small kick out of people going "I didn't know you could do that to avoid a penalty!" mostly because I think I remember Ferrari pulling a similar stunt some time in the mid-90s.  Which is now making me feel old, that kiddie-winks nowadays don't know that the second rule of formula 1 is "time spent finding loopholes in the regulations is never wasted."

No comments:

Post a Comment