Thursday 22 September 2022

Warwick Castle

In 2019, when I found out that Warwick Castle was within walking distance of Warwick train station, I couldn't help but go. Castle turret with a flag Unfortunately I wasn't co-ordinated enough to get the times right for jousting or the falconry displays, but that just gives me something to do next time. 

First I did the maze Picture of a cartoon rat holding up a sign saying Get Lost , which was Horrible Histories themed and, given it was for kiddies, remarkably easy to get lost in. 

Then I walked past the water wheel, although that whole area was very pretty. A water wheel Because the castle is set it large grounds, there's a lot of wildlife - squirrels, ducks, insects I can't name but if anyone has any ideas I am willing to listen ... Blue insect, looks a bit like a dragonfly with seethrough wings Also, peacocks, lots of peacocks, who will steal your burgers if you give them half a chance. Sitting peacock 

One of the more interesting things I learnt that day, this is what the back of a peacock looks like when it's displaying Back of a peacock mid-display, the back of the wings are white The same peacock from the front Front of a peacock displaying They've shored up the walls so you can do a whole wall walk, which I definitely recommend because you get some excellent views of the castle. I shan't spoil the history you hear because it's very interesting. View of Warwick Castle 

Also, there's a trebuchet. Picture of a trebuchet from above Part of the reason I missed the falconry was that my slot in the Chamber of Horrors happened to clash with it. Chamber of Horrors was lots of fun and screaming, and some theatre-types given gainful employment horrifying us. 

I did manage to catch the end of the falconry display, followed by one of the birds going AWOL and landing in the tree above me. I did ask the handler what you did in those situations - the answer is you wait because they will get bored. Attitude of handler very much "Mum waiting for teenager who has stayed out beyond agreed time". Picture of bird of prey in a tree 

I had a whale of a time, the only downside being that, amongst all the things they were selling (mostly aimed at small children who enjoy playing with swords and bows and arrows ... so me), there wasn't a guidebook or history of the castle. If anyone can recommend a good history of Warwick Castle, I'd be grateful. 

I haven't had chance to go back yet, but I definitely want to. I might not choose a Monday because the rest of the town centre was mostly shut and there were several interesting looking shops I wanted to go into.

No comments:

Post a Comment