Wednesday 4 May 2022

Book Review - The Puffin Book of Funny Stories

The LibraryThing entry says by Helen Cresswell, but it's more collected by her and with introductions by her (and one of the bits is excerpted from one of her books).

I strongly suspect I got this when I was still in primary school.

The book is a bunch of funny excerpts from funny books some of which were aimed at children.

Reading it back now, I am fonder of some of the stories than I was and the collection will always have a special place in my heart for introducing me to Three Men In A Boat.  The book used The Cheeses, which makes sense because it's one of the funnier free-standing bits and of the other options both The Packing of the Luggage and Uncle Podger are probably funnier with more life experience.

The book may also have been my introduction to Adrian Mole and one day I will get round to reading Witch Week.

No LibraryThing recommendations, because I don't think enough people have reviewed it.

No comments:

Post a Comment