Saturday 14 May 2022

Formula 1 2022 - Miami Grand Prix

I was not surprised that the Miami Grand Prix was not a success. 

I don't actually mind the ridiculous bombast (unlike most F1 fans; for some reason, high tech sports attract people who do not like change), but it was always going to be a boring race because it's a street circuit. I summed up my views two years ago in Just Say No To Street Circuits and I haven't changed my mind. 

Streets are too narrow to allow racing. 

I am aware that Ferrari got a 2-3 and objecting to that is just a sign of Ferrari fans's excessive everything, but I am giving Sainz jnr's right front wheeljack man a yellow card after that stop. Mistakes cannot be allowed to creep in. 

I understand the urge to shout at the strategy team, like the BBC commentators did, but Andrew Benson also on the BBC made a very good point that there's little strategists can do when you're in a car with less straight-line speed on a circuit that doesn't allow overtaking*. 

It does mean the engineering and aero teams are on a yellow card. Go faster than the Red Bulls! Eo7CsG.png 

* I became a lot fonder of Benson after Grosjean's crash when he was so clearly the adult in the commentary box.

No comments:

Post a Comment