Wednesday 7 April 2021

Do February's lead articles obey Benford's Law?

Benford's Law gains its power with larger numbers, and I started my Benford's law project in the shortest month.  I don't think these things through, do I?  But you have to start somewhere.

The 28 daily news articles contained 436 numbers written as digits (~15 per day).


3 and 7 are found pretty much exactly as often as expected.  1 is over represented.  

If you add together the sum of all the values of (observed-expected)squared, all divided by the expected, the calculated test statistic is 8.6.

The critical chi squared value for 9 items with only one line is ~ 15.507 

The test statistic smaller than the critical value therefore the difference is not significant.  This data does not disobey Benford's Law.*

*That noise is L shouting "obey is the word you want" but to me there's a difference between 'stats show x' and 'stats show not x' and to me, these show 'do not disobey'.

No comments:

Post a Comment