Monday 5 July 2021

Euro 2020 - Semifinal Network Diagrams

 One of the semi-finals is a match I'd been hoping to avoid.  Because on the one side, there is England, and the lovely Marcus Rashford and Harry Maguire who I am also quite fond of, and on the other, there is Denmark, and everything and the lovely Kasper Schmeichel who I have, to an extent, grown up with.

I am not exaggerating about that, I come from a family of Manchester United fans (Mum remembers paying 20p to watch Denis Law and Sir Bobby Charlton play), so when boy cousin got a Manchester United annual, and I, inevitably got bored and ended up reading it, I became accustomed to seeing a young boy in goalie gear following after his giant father.  And obviously, as time passed, the boy grew and is now the Danish national goalkeeper himself (rather beautifully summed up by the Danish coach here).  It's very hard not to want Kasper Schmeichel to do well, especially after he helped Leicester win a title.

I am going to hate every minute of the game, although I fear I will be on match-monitoring duty because L thinks I'm less of a jinx than he is.

The semi-final diagrams look like this.


I've increased the repulsion strength slightly to make it clearer.


Manchester City are the team with most player left in, with 11, followed by Chelsea with 10 and Borussia Dortmund with 9 (here I must apologise to Dynamo Kyiv who had 10 players left in the last round, but I didn't mention them because I have to get the numbers by skim reading through a column.)

Spurs are just about the club team closest to the centre, Denmark are the national team closest to the centre.

The community view looks like this:

Leeds, Chelsea, AC Milan, Atalanta and Spurs are their own communities, while Manchester City aren't (no, I don't know why).  This split is clearer on the unlabelled diagram.



No comments:

Post a Comment