Thursday 22 July 2021

F1 Sprint Races

After the first one, I am underwhelmed.

Part of the reason I am underwhelmed is not Formula 1's fault.  The other half really is.

Things that aren't Formula 1's fault - Saturday's sprint race clashed with the Challenge Cup final, which featured my home town team.  Sorry, F1, you cannot compete with this.  (Saints won, oh yes they did.)

Things that are Formula 1's fault - 

1 - Friday qualifying - you know what I do on Friday afternoon?  I work.  You know what most people do on Friday afternoons?  They work.  Having something that means ~90% of your audience can't watch is sub-optimal.

2 - the Saturday sprint race itself - Vet, Ham, Bot, not exactly an unusual top 3.  Because shortening the race is not going to alter the basic problem that 4 of the cars are significantly faster than the remaining 16, and no one can overtake any more because the cars are too wide.

No comments:

Post a Comment