Monday 7 September 2020

Tour de France 2020 Data Doodles

Inspired by @psychemedia on Twitter/blog.ouseful.info, and his F1 charts where you could tell when something had happened and who it happened to, even if you hadn't watched the race, I wanted to do something similar for the Tour de France.  Only, I still wanted to watch the stages.

Also, other people have probably done more things with times and speeds, so I thought I'd focus on withdrawals.  

Can you tell which stages are the hardest from the number of withdrawals?


I couldn't decide which I liked the look of more, the version where the stages are chronological or arranged by number of withdrawals

The figures suggest that stage 8 was nasty.  (Which it was, in a good way)

The whole peleton hasn't lost that many, and more than 90% of riders remain in.

(This was why I was asking if anyone had a good explainer for Kaplan Meier graphs made using R.  If anyone finds one, I am still looking.)

But let's look at it by team.

This is the withdrawals by team in absolute numbers.


Now, but in percentages


And now the Kaplan Meier by team, which I acknowledge is ugly.



Mostly, Lotto Soudal appear to be cursed.

Other things I'm thinking of is dividing the withdrawals as to whether they were abandonments or do not starts and seeing how they differ, and deciding whether the DNS should be counted as belong to the stage before, or the stage they didn't start.

It'd also be interesting to see if there's a pattern in the withdrawals in the different weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment