Friday 24 April 2020

Dune (2020)


I think Dune might be just the right film for Timothee Chalamet, because Paul is supposed to look scrawny, lost and slightly confused. I can already hear Gurney Halleck shouting at him.

I mock with some affection, I think Chalamet’s going to knock the Jamis scene out of the park.

Most importantly, I have seen pictures of Liet Kynes.

Doesn't she look magnificent!

It is no secret that Liet Kynes is my favourite character in Dune, and I am pleased to see they're doing him justice, in the photos at least. Of all the characters, if there was one they could genderswap, to try and balance out the number of characters of each gender (not that the women of Dune aren't all ... I'd say awesome, but just as flawed and vivid as their male companions is more truthful), then Kynes is the easiest, because there's nothing about him or his story that needs him to be male.

I've also found out that it's going to be two films, which might explain why they haven't revealed who is playing Feyd Rutha. Then again, he's important background for the plot and explaining the Baron Harkonnen's motives, so I remain dubious. Because that scene where the Baron watches Feyd Rutha fight is important, not just for the Baron's "be still my beating [redacted for the good of mankind]" at the sight of Feyd's body. It's so we know that although Feyd Rutha looks nice and, unlike the beast Raban, has manners, hygiene and charm, he's still a Harkonnen and enjoys fighting slaves who are drugged so they're no harm to him to make himself look good. It presages the end duel. You kinda need Feyd in the first half, if only for two scenes.

I withhold my fuller opinion until I see any of the Fremen's eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment