Wednesday 17 February 2016

4 Comic Book Movie Trailers - 3 - Captain America: Civil War

I can totally see why the Cap-fans are complaining that this is an Avengers film, rather than the Captain America film that the title suggests.

I can see why Marvel have done it though, because there's only really three characters you could use as *the* face for the Civil War story, and Marvel don't own the film rights to one of them, and the other one is pretty much the bad guy* and they want to make more money of him later so if they have to have a figurehead and not just make this Avengers 3 like they should (I said see their reasoning, not agree with it) they had to have Cap as that figurehead.

I don't like the fake-out of Rhodey's death, because there's only one character likely to die in this film and if you know who it is, you know who it is, and if you don't, you don't think it's going to be Rhodey because these aren't even his films.  And fake deaths (see also the concept of Marvel Dead as exemplified by Nick Fury in Captain America: The Winter Soldier) cheapen the real one(s) we're likely to get later.

By the way, if I am wrong and they do kill Rhodey, you will never hear the end of it from me, because Rhodey really doesn't get the respect he deserves in the non-Iron Man films.

The only problem I have with the trailer is that they're trying to shoe-horn comics characterisation into the film, with regard to Steve and Tony's friendship, which just isn't there in the films.  Because they've basically spent two films being barely civil to each other.  Or rather, Tony's been an arse and Steve Rogers, because he is lovely, has been rising above it.  So the 'I was your friend too' bit doesn't work, despite some bang up acting by Robert Downey jnr in that snippet.

I do like that they've tried to make Tony's motivation clearer and more reasonable than in the comics, and that they've built up to this through the past few films.

On a more peculiar note - help William Hurt is playing ancient crabby generals.  I am not willing to cope with this.

* Guess where I stand on the Superhero Registration Act.

I know that some sort of oversight is needed but registration is the worst possible solution.  Either ban it, a la the Keane Act (or Incredibles equivalent), or you know, accept it and carry on.  Don't put peoples's details down when they've got deadly enemies, because there's no such thing as an unbreakable cipher.  And if I know this, so do all the Marvelverse bad guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment