Saturday 13 January 2024

Andalusia 2019 - Part 8 - Cadiz

Cadiz was a completely different vibe after Cordoba

Partly it was the temperature difference. Cordoba was the other side of 30oC, while Cadiz, being on the coast, was a good 5-10 degrees cooler. Seafront brick wall with old fashioned street lamps.  This runs along the left of the photo. The top right is the sky and the bottom right is the sea. 

In Cordoba we had a walk through little twisty streets and looked at flowery courtyards. In Cadiz, we stayed pretty much along the main streets which were much broader. 

On the other hand, they are not broad enough for tourist coaches when you're sent on diversions. Coach driver earned every penny that day. Multi-storey building.  White fronted, there are four windows with no frames on each floor, with a balcony on either end of the floor.  At the bottom are the tops of palm trees, and top there is a three-columned older style top with bronze winged victory on top.  Towards the bottom of the building is a black sign saying Diario de Cadiz with a red line underneath. 

The Diario de Cadiz is a local newspaper. I just liked the building.

This is a view of the Plaza del la Cathedral and the "new" cathedral.  Front of a sort of mudejar-baroque mixture cathedral.  The stone is in three bands, a white bottom, a more orange-y middle then a white top. 

Because my entire family are contrary, and it was on the the way to the Roman Amphitheatre, we looked in the old Cathedral instead. It very much feels like a working church and was absolutely lovely and welcoming. I am therefore linking the following to encourage others to go to the Iglesia de Santa Cruz also (https://turismo.cadiz.es/es/rutas-y-visitas-en-cadiz/iglesia-de-santa-cruz-catedral-vieja , https://es.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iglesia_de_Santa_Cruz_(C%C3%A1diz)).

This is a shot of the back of the old cathedral, taken from the amphitheatre.
Photo of the back of the old cathedral.  In the centre is a white tower with an orange dome.  On the left is a more pointy white tower, with a figure on the roof.  I 

For those who don't know, my Spanish is terrible. In my defence, I never studied it at school, so it's me using a phrase book and some guessing. The other problem is that the Romance language I did study at school was French, so I start sentences with Spanish intentions but they descend into French with unfortunate speed. 

So, when we got lost on the way to the amphitheatre, I was quite pleased I managed to make myself understood enough to get us to where we wanted to go. View from the right hand side of the amphitheatre looking across.  The tower you can see in the middle of the other wall is the tower of the old cathedral. View down into the centre of the amphitheatre.  The arches at the back have been reinforced with reddish metal. 


My fondness for Roman history meant that I wanted to visit, and it's worth it (free entry). 

I have walked where Caesar watched. 

It still makes me quite giddy. 

(Yes, before L says anything, my fondness for Roman archaeology has since caused much misery. I regret nothing.) 

After lunch, we walked round a little more and found the Plaza de España and the monument to the Constitution of 1812. We didn't have quite enough time to explore it thoroughly, so Cadiz is also on the "I want to go back" list.

Three photos of the monument in question   White pillar with Cadiz written along the top.  At the top are four figures holding up a book which I suspect is the 1812 constitution Fuller view of the same pillar.  You can now see the figures around the bottom.  At the left is what looks like one man on a horse surrounded on the others.  On the right, it looks like a king also on a horse.  At the front is a naked man with fabric round him. 

 A view of the other side of the monument: This side says 1812 instead of Cadiz, and there is a female figure in a blue robe.  Given her helmet and sword, I am presuming it is Minerva or Athena. 

There's lots of allegorical figures. Hopefully this link provides more information - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monument_to_the_Constitution_of_1812 

With that it was back to the hotel in Seville for the last time.

No comments:

Post a Comment