Wednesday 15 November 2017

Rugby League World Cup Quarterfinal Predictions

Since I will not have my quarterfinal dataviz ready before Australia vs Samoa on Friday, I want to record my predictions now.  Mostly so I can say I told you so.

The four quarterfinals are:

Australia vs Samoa
Tonga vs Lebanon
New Zealand vs Fiji
England vs PNG

I expect Australia will win, but I hope Samoa will get at least a couple of tries.  Tonga vs Lebanon could get tasty but I expect Tonga to win by several tries.  I am excited for NZ vs Fiji, even if I know Fiji, the team I want to win, probably won't win.

With regard to England's quarterfinal, I want to join everyone else in saying that it's not fair that it is being held in Melbourne rather than Port Moresby.  As PNG are co-hosts with NZ and Australia, it is wrong that they don't host any matches after the group stage.

It also improves England's chances of beating them.

I am slightly torn because I want PNG to do well, but I don't want a team featuring James Graham, James Roby, Alex Walmsley and Mark Percival to lose.  I also think a close match might finally kick England's posteriors into gear.  Because that second half against France was not acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment