Wednesday 7 December 2022

End of the Formula 1 Season

Sorry about the lack of Formula 1 posts.  Partly it was the hellish cold I'm still getting over, partly it was real life getting really busy, but mostly it was that the end of the season was really uninspiring.

Despite George Russell winning his first race, which is something I have been looking forward to.  (Don't look at me in that tone of voice, I've been fond of the Powerpoint Kid since he started at Williams).

It's just that the rest of it was so meh - no one was going to beat Verstappen if Max got into a lead and the nearest thing there was to intrigue was when people decided to be surprised that Verstappen, a man who would run over his own grandmother for a victory, didn't let a teammate through.  Why people, including Perez, were surprised is beyond me.

Ferrari did not help matters (Ferrari never help matters).

Okay, I have unrealistic expectations, I'm a tifosi, I was born to have unrealistic expectations.  And the season started so well.  But ended without even a whimper.

It was the sheer dull thud of the end of the year that depressed me.  It wasn't even an entertaining disasterpiece.

Ferrari's response to this is yet another bout of regime change, because if something hasn't worked the last three times, why not try it again.  I think the problem goes deeper that just the figurehead.  None of four people who have taken up the poison mantle since Jean Todt were bad at their jobs before or after (ignoring the recent Juventus weirdness with Arrivabene which I think is a Juventus thing not an Arrivabene thing).  I think the way Stefano Domenicali looked 10 years younger with a year of leaving Ferrari is telling.

There's something deeper wrong at Ferrari and I can't see yet another team principal fixing it.

No comments:

Post a Comment