Friday 30 January 2015

Book Locations

If I may direct you to a thing that @nwbrux (on Twitter) is doing, where he's using LibraryThing and GoodReads to try to find the most famous book from each European country - http://nwhyte.livejournal.com/tag/famous%20books%20by%20geography. (Inspired by this mentalfloss thing doing the same for each US state -http://mentalfloss.com/article/56377/most-famous-book-set-each-state).

Other than being very happy that Kidnapped got a mention for Scotland, and hoping that The Three Musketeers gets a mention for France, I have suddenly become aware that the other thing I think of when you say French book isn't a novel per se (Asterix for the win) and neither is the thing I think of when you say Dutch book (the Diary of Anne Frank).

Anyway, I did a quick blast through the books that I have reviewed on LibraryThing (because it's common knowledge function is useful when you can't quite remember where on of the Aubrey and Maturin books is set), and I have found that I really need to read a more varied selection of books.



And that Brazilian one is pushing it a bit because they literally only just touch there in HMS Surprise, but the whole "you debauched my sloth" thing is too magnificent to ignore.

It's even worse if I look at the UK-based books:


(Yes, all of the Welsh ones are Torchwood books.) Add to that that most of those are set in London or the Home Counties, it definitely means I need to read a more varied set of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment